In order to lessen the burden of paying for a house or apartment unit, home shares become quite common in today’s society (particularly in urban living). This living arrangement might be easier for some but considered difficult by others. It is important to understand about this way of living to have better time navigating the process. Let’s learn more about it through the following frequently asked questions (FAQs).
Frequent Questions Related to Home Shares
- What would you gain from living together with other people?
- What are the common issues from sharing living space with other people?
- Is it better to room with acquaintances or total stranger?
- What to do to make the shared living setup more convenient?
- How to find a suitable roommate?
- Would it be safe to share living space with someone you do not know before?
- Is this living arrangement suitable for people over 40s?
Detail Frequent Questions Related to Home Shares
What would you gain from living together with other people?
This program is very beneficial for tenants and even community in general, that it is no wonder home shares are widely practiced worldwide. It is known that property price and rent hike up in recent years. Unfortunately, the income rate does not increase as fast. To cope with that situation, sharing house or unit with other people will lower accommodation and maintenance expenses.
There are other benefits that can be gained from this too. It helps overcoming loneliness which may result from having to live alone, something common in urban area. The energy spent to take care of a house or apartment unit is significantly lessened because there are other people to share it with.
What are the common issues from sharing living space with other people?
Home shares issues mainly revolve around the fact that tenants must share living space with someone who is not a family member. It means there will be instances when privacy would be breached, most likely unintentionally. Having a roommate with unpleasant living habits is not a great experience. Sometimes, tenant must deal with meeting roommate who has clashing personality as well. It is hard to avoid this issue, but certain ways may help you getting around it.
Is it better to room with acquaintances or total stranger?
It is definitely easier to start home shares with people one already knows before rooming together. The benefit is easier initial living setup. You will feel more comfortable about talking to them about future living arrangement. It might be easier during moving because friends would be able to help each other to make the process less stressful.
However, that does not mean living with friends would be better than starting off with total stranger. Being in a close quarter with other people might bring out one’s less desirable traits. It is not unheard of to hear friendship broken after home shares experience. Other people have better experience sharing living space with stranger, but it is not always the case either.
What to do to make the shared living setup more convenient?
It is suggested that the best practice for home shares would be discussion prior moving in. Here are several topics that need to be tackled by tenants who are about to share the house together.
- Rent and shared expenses. Before moving in, it is important to discuss about how the rent is going to be split and what are expenses to be shared. In some cases, the rent would be shared equally unless one tenant gets better bedroom or facilities if compared to the others. Shared expenses may include cleaning supplies and bills.
- Routine comparison. It is also important to compare one’s routine to another so that tenants can get to know each other and discuss the best possible living practice.
- Chore assignment. The house needs to be maintained so that it would be a comfortable living space for everyone. Roommates need to assign chores (can be based on days or tasks). This will create more harmonious schedule while not neglecting house condition.
- Parties involved in the home shares must decide on rules of shared tenancy to adhere to. It might involve guests, ways to utilize facilities in the house, and sharing.
The key point that someone needs to pay attention to if thinking about living with other people is communication. There is no need to beat around the bus when trying to deliver your idea to the other parties. It is important to state ideas clearly but not disrespectfully. Without open communication, it would be hard to live together conveniently. It might add stress that you do not need in your life.
How to find a suitable roommate?
Finding suitable roommate to share living space with can be done through several methods. The information can be spread from one acquaintance to another. This method may take longer time to show result. However, it may deliver the most satisfying result because the person might be recommended by someone that you already know.
Truthfully, many home shares websites are available. Some of them are in local scale, while the others run nationally. In these websites, one would be able to write down ads about seeking potential roommate. The websites help people who are looking for new place to live in while other people may already accommodation but requires someone else to alleviate the spending.
Would it be safe to share living space with someone you do not know before?
One beauty of home shares would be increased security. However, it is not always the case. There are some unfortunate experiences when roommate creates damage or even threaten the safety of other tenants. The percentage is very low, though. Nonetheless, anyone who is thinking about living in share house needs to stay vigilant. It would be better to keep the safety of yourself and belongings independently.
Is this living arrangement suitable for people over 40s?
There are people over 40 years old who practice living in shared space. It is difficult to decide whether such living arrangement is suitable for all of them. Some people find it pleasant, while others consider to just living alone. However, you would be better off sharing space with people who are within your age group. This will make it easier to connect with other tenants. Some unpleasant experiences such as taking on leadership as the oldest person in the house are not uncommon.
The information contained in this FAQ list might be able to help you decide whether home shares would be the right living arrangement option. There are many things to ponder about but nobody can deny that this way of living has become rather helpful in solving housing crisis that happens around the globe.